|Brown Univerisity||Physics, Masters (F18)||Other via Other on 11 Apr 2018 ||A||14 Apr 2018|
- To the poster (from March 29) who said that if I had any other offer I should take it, could you please elaborate on that? Is the atmophere at the department hostile towards their ScM students? Also, is it worth it to go so much into debt to attain the ScM degree at Brown? From the interactions I've had with the department I have been told that there is no funding whatsoever for their ScM students, apparently they can't even pay ScM students from federal research grants. My main goal is to obtain a PhD, but sadly I have been rejected from every program I applied to, except Brown. Although having the ScM from Brown would look impressive on a future grad school application, will it be worth it considering all the money it entails? Not to mention that I live in the west coast and would have to move all the way across the country in order to attend Brown. Any input on my predicament would be greatly appreciated (especially from current ScM/PhD students)!
|Brandeis||Physics, PhD (F18)||Other via E-mail on 14 Apr 2018 ||A||14 Apr 2018|
- Turned down this offer. Hope it helps someone else.
|National Defense Science And Engineering (NDSEG) Fellowship||Physics, PhD (F18)||Accepted via E-mail on 13 Apr 2018 Undergrad GPA: 3.99|
GRE General (V/Q/W): 0/0/0.00
GRE Subject: 970
|A||13 Apr 2018|
|Duke University||"Physics", PhD (F18)||Other via Website on 13 Apr 2018 Undergrad GPA: 4.00|
GRE General (V/Q/W): 162/168/4.50
GRE Subject: 950
|I||13 Apr 2018|
- Please can someone explain to me what does this mean ?
Are they offering me a spot next term (Spring/Fall 19) or does this mean if, someone drops decides not to go they will inform me? Or is it just a more polite way of saying that I am rejected, in that case this would be my 11th rejection.
"We have reviewed your application to the Physics program and are impressed by your credentials. While we cannot offer you admission at this time, your application is sufficiently strong to allow for the possibility of admission at a later date. Your name has therefore been placed on an alternate list from which we will choose if vacancies occur.
If a vacancy should occur, we will notify you promptly by email. In the meantime, please inform us if you make other plans for the next year by logging into your Applicant Self-Service account and declining your spot on the alternate list. We appreciate having had the opportunity to review your application and wish you all the best."
|The University Of Arizona, Drexel, Kansas State, Lehigh University, UCF||"Physics", PhD (F18)||Other via Other on 13 Apr 2018 ||13 Apr 2018|
- Just turned down offers from these places today, hope this post gives some hope to those of you on waitlists
|National Defense Science And Engineering Graduate Fellowship (NDSEG)||Physics Experimental AMO, PhD (F18)||Wait listed via E-mail on 13 Apr 2018 ||A||13 Apr 2018|
- Looks like they only accepted ~1% of applicants.rnrn"This year we planned to award roughly 200 fellowships and only 69 were selected due to the budget. You were in the top 200 and have been placed on the alternates selection list for the fellowship. This does not guarantee that you will be awarded the fellowship but serves as notice of your ranking and your potential in the unlikely event that the DoD will select additional awardees."
|Rice Ｕniversity||"Physics", PhD (F18)||Accepted via E-mail on 28 Jan 2018 Undergrad GPA: 3.60|
GRE General (V/Q/W): 0/0/0.00
GRE Subject: 680
|A||13 Apr 2018|
- Accepted admission offer, good luck to those on waitlist
|University Of Texas At Austin (UT Austin)||"Physics", PhD (F18)||Other via Other on 13 Apr 2018 ||U||13 Apr 2018|
- Anyone knows what's going on with UT? Haven't heard from them yet, though I suspect the truth is probably that they just haven't sent out the rejections.
|Austin, UCRiverside, Lowell, Dallas||"Physics", PhD (F18)||Other via Other on 13 Apr 2018 ||A||13 Apr 2018|
- Still no word from these schools??? Any insight?
|University Of Delaware||"Physics", Other (F18)||Other via Other on 13 Apr 2018 ||O||13 Apr 2018|
- Just declined their offer of admission since I was accepted by another university. Thanks UDEL! Beautiful campus, great people, good location. Hope this helps those in the waitlist. Good luck!
|University Of North Carolina Chapel Hill (UNC)||"Physics", PhD (F18)||Other via Other on 13 Apr 2018 ||A||13 Apr 2018|
- Well, after waiting far beyond reasonable I am giving up on UNC and accepting another offer today. I have never gotten any responses to queries other than "we apologize for the long wait, but your application is still under review, blah blah blah" I must admit that their application process does not inspire a positive impression anyway. If anyone ever hears anything, please post it here.
|The University Of Iowa||"Physics", PhD (F18)||Accepted via E-mail on 11 Apr 2018 ||U||13 Apr 2018|
- Waitlisted then accepted. Just declined it. Hope that I just saved someone.
|Brown University||Physics, Masters (F18)||Other via Other on 13 Apr 2018 ||O||13 Apr 2018|
- To the poster inquiring about Brown's physics master below--If you search "physics Brown" on Gradcafe, you can certainly find some previous posts that have the information which may help.
|Brown University||Physics, Masters (F18)||Accepted via Website on 11 Apr 2018 ||A||13 Apr 2018|
- Originally applied for PhD program, got denied to the PhD but accepted to the ScM degree. Any current ScM Brown students who could tell me if this is a good option? The fact that there is no funding makes me hesitate into taking this option.
|University Of Oxford||Atom And Laser Physics, PhD (F18)||Interview via E-mail on 5 Feb 2018 ||I||13 Apr 2018|
- Received email on Feb 5 from ALP support staff to schedule an interview. The interview happened on Feb 19 with one prof and two postdoc/researchers over Skype. The decisions were supposed to be released around March 16 but still there is no word on it. In fact, they have not replied to multiple emails about the status of my application. TP and CMP departments sent their rejection emails a while ago; they never interviewed me. Not sure what is going on with ALP. Does anyone have any clue or insight? Btw, I have only contacted two profs in the same group, including the one who interviewed me but neither replied.
|University Of Michigan, Ann Arbor||Applied Physics, Masters (F18)||Rejected via E-mail on 6 Mar 2018 ||A||13 Apr 2018|
|Princeton University||Physics, Masters (F18)||Rejected via E-mail on 30 Mar 2018 ||A||13 Apr 2018|
|University Of Nevada - Las Vegas (UNLV)||Health Physics - Environmental Health Physics, Masters (F18)||Accepted via E-mail on 23 Mar 2018 Undergrad GPA: 2.49|
GRE General (V/Q/W): 157/158/5.00
GRE Subject: n/a
|A||13 Apr 2018|
- Submitted application months before final deadline (rolling). Informally admitted, then officially a few days later. 2.49 GPA at time of application for current university, if combine entire undergrad roughly 3.16 GPA.
|UC Irvine||"Physics", PhD (F18)||Rejected via E-mail on 13 Apr 2018 ||A||13 Apr 2018|
- hello darkness, my old friend
|Cornell||Applied Physics And Engineering, Masters (F18)||Rejected via E-mail on 13 Apr 2018 ||13 Apr 2018|
|UC Irvine (UCI)||Physics & Astronomy, PhD (F18)||Rejected via E-mail on 12 Apr 2018 ||A||12 Apr 2018|
| University Of Florida (Gainesville)||"Physics", PhD (F18)||Other via Other on 12 Apr 2018 ||O||12 Apr 2018|
- Any news from UF? The wait is crazy...Please share if you know anything about the current application status at UF. Just anything, any petty details that you know. Thank you!
|UC Irvine||Physics And Astronomy, PhD (F18)||Rejected via E-mail on 12 Apr 2018 Undergrad GPA: 3.40|
GRE General (V/Q/W): 163/160/4.50
GRE Subject: 610
|A||12 Apr 2018|
|Arizona State University ( ASU )||Physics, PhD (F18)||Other via Other on 12 Apr 2018 ||I||12 Apr 2018|
- Just declined the offer. Hope someone else gets this wonderful place!!
|Ohio State (OSU)||"Physics", PhD (F18)||Wait listed via E-mail on 12 Apr 2018 ||A||12 Apr 2018|
- Just got off the phone with them. If you don't decline your offer by today or tomorrow, people on the waitlist cannot be offered admission, so you should really just decline if you're going to. It doesn't take long or much effort.